- Why has HCUPnet been redesigned?
- Is a tutorial available?
- Will the old HCUPnet still be available?
- Why can’t I query individual ICD-9-CM or ICD-10-CM/PCS codes?
- Why don’t I see all CCS, CCSR, DRG or MS-DRG categories in the dashboards?
- Why can’t I query Ambulatory Surgery data?
- Where are statistics on ___?
- What happened to the option to include related conditions or procedures?
- Where is the option to stratify estimates by hospital safety net status in the Inpatient Setting dashboard?
- Why do hospital cost estimates and other statistics I queried on the old site differ from the new site?
- Why do my estimates for children in the Inpatient Setting dashboard not match estimates I previously pulled from the old HCUPnet site?
- Why can’t I select multiple States for a single query on the State dashboards?
- For the Emergency Department (ED) dashboard, why is the first data year available for State-level statistics 2006 instead of 2005?
- Why can’t I select multiple years for a single query when the Cross-Sectional option is selected?
- Where is the rank order option?
- How can I save my query results and compare results of multiple analyses as I used to do under “Manage Analysis”?
- How can I focus on a subgroup of interest?
AHRQ recently engaged in an effort to harmonize the look and experience of each data query tool including HCUPnet. This effort helped to modernize, streamline, enhance visualizations, and improve user experience working with AHRQ data.
Not at this time, we are collecting information and feedback from our users to determine what assistance may be required.
The old HCUPnet site (https://hcupnet.ahrq.gov/) will be available through December 2022. Beginning January 2023, the old site will no longer be available.
HCUPnet no longer offers the option to query individual ICD-9-CM or ICD-10-CM/PCS codes. Instead, we have integrated the HCUP Clinical Classification Software (CCS) and Clinical Classification Software Refined (CCSR) into HCUPnet, which enables users to query broad groups of diagnoses and procedures that facilitate reporting of clinical concepts relevant for inpatient and/or outpatient care. Counts of inpatient discharges or emergency department (ED) visits for each individual ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM/PCS code are available for each of the nationwide databases in the Database Documentation section of HCUP-US. Note that these counts are presented for all discharges or visits and not stratified by any patient characteristics. For an analysis to be performed at the level of individual ICD-9-CM or ICD-10-CM/PCS codes, we recommend users purchase HCUP data through the Central Distributor.
To improve the user experience and ensure the most relevant and informative data is available to users, we have limited the set of condition and procedure categories available for query to the most clinically relevant.
For the Inpatient Setting and Community Level Statistics (CLS) dashboards, procedure categories are limited to those that include operating room (OR) procedures based on the HCUP Procedure Classes for ICD-9-CM or Procedure Classes Refined for ICD-10-PCS tools, values 3 and 4 for major diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, respectively. Some procedure categories include only minor procedures, which are often underreported on hospital administrative discharge records for a few reasons:
- Billing for the procedure may have been done by the physician, not the hospital.
- The minor procedure is not expected to affect reimbursement for the inpatient stay and therefore is not coded on the discharge record.
- There may be a limit on the number of procedure codes that can be reported on the hospital discharge record. Some HCUP Partners include no more than six procedures on the files provided to HCUP.
For the CLS county and region-level dashboard, to improve functionality, the set of clinical categories available for query is based on clinical relevance and number of discharges.
The Ambulatory Surgery Data path has not been developed yet for the new query tool. There is no timeline yet for its development.
Based on a clinical review and to improve the new site functionality and performance, some statistics are temporarily not included in the redesigned HCUPnet. These include:
- CLS dashboard:
- All-listed CCSR diagnoses
- 1-year Medicare Severity Diagnosis-Related Group (MS-DRG) statistics
- Stays Related to Mental and/or Substance Use Disorders
- These data can now be found within CCS and CCSR categories
- Border region statistics
- Readmissions dashboard:
- Readmission statistics for the same CCSR in any-listed position
- Top five reasons for readmission
The option to select a principal/first-listed diagnosis or procedure and examine related diagnoses or procedures is not included in the redesigned HCUPnet. For an analysis that examines common secondary diagnoses or procedures most related to the principal/first-listed diagnosis or procedure, we recommend users purchase HCUP data through the Central Distributor.
Where is the option to stratify estimates by hospital safety net status in the Inpatient Setting dashboard?
The option to stratify estimates by hospital safety net status in the Inpatient Setting dashboard is not included in the redesigned HCUPnet.
Why do hospital cost estimates and other statistics I queried on the old site differ from the new site?
The method for estimating hospital costs for all years of statistics in HCUPnet was reviewed and updated during the process of redesigning the site. Due to this and other changes, we recommend users rely on statistics from the redesigned site going forward.
During the redesign, we reprocessed all years of data applying consistent data processing procedures. For example, the old site was updated sequentially with each new year of data or data tool update so each year of data output represented a different version of the CCS tool. Now, all data prior to 2016 is based on the most recent version of the CCS tool for diagnoses and procedures.
Why do my estimates for children in the Inpatient Setting dashboard not match estimates I previously pulled from the old HCUPnet site?
In the redesigned HCUPnet, statistics for children in the Inpatient Setting dashboard are based on all patients (aged 0-20 years) in the HCUP Kids’ Inpatient Database (KID). In the old HCUPnet, statistics for children were also based on the KID, but limited to patients aged 0-17 years.
Initial designs had limited ability to implement this feature, but we are exploring making this feature available in the future.
For the Emergency Department (ED) dashboard, why is the first data year available for State-level statistics 2006 instead of 2005?
We made this change to be consistent with the availability of the National ED data.
The Cross-Sectional option is specific to single-year estimates. Users that wish to query multiple years at a time should use the Trends option. Alternatively, the years of interest can be queried individually within the Cross-Sectional option and later combined.
Users can sort any data table by clicking in the right portion of the column header. Several sort options are available. If you wish to return to the original order, select the “Data Source Order” option.
How can I save my query results and compare results of multiple analyses as I used to do under “Manage Analysis”?
This feature is not available, but you can download results as a PDF or excel file from multiple queries and compare them. Be mindful that if your results include a table that requires scrolling to view multiple rows and/or columns, the PDF will only display a subset of these rows and/or columns. For that reason, you may wish to modify your results to only display a select number of rows and/or columns at a time to ensure they are all captured.
The subgroup of interest option is no longer included in the redesigned HCUPnet. However, some of the subgroups of interest included on the old HCUPnet site can be queried on the redesigned HCUPnet based on selections made in certain dashboards. These include:
- Children only
- Available as an option under the Inpatient Setting dashboard. Statistics are based on discharges for patients aged 0-20 years from the KID. This is different from the old HCUPnet site where statistics were limited to patients aged 0-17 years.
- Operating room (OR) procedures
- All procedure-related statistics in the redesigned HCUPnet site are limited to OR procedures. Therefore, this subgroup of interest is no longer applicable.
- Mental health
- Available as a classification option in the Inpatient Setting-Diagnosis and Procedure dashboard under ‘General Conditions’.
- Available as a classification option in the Inpatient Setting and Readmissions Diagnoses dashboards under ‘MDC’.
- Available in the Inpatient Setting and Emergency Department Setting under “Diagnoses – Clinical Classifications Software Refined (CCSR).” Specifically, CCSR categories that begin with the three-character abbreviation “MBD.”
Options to limit results to non-maternal or non-neonatal discharges or patients with the highest severity illness are not included in the redesigned HCUPnet.